You might be surprised to know that the probability of having yellowish teeth or suffering from the problem of teeth discoloration is higher in the case of children. Are you wondering why? Well, the reason behind it is pretty simple. Kids have a relatively thinner enamel layer. As a result, the chances of the dentin layer getting exposed becomes high. This can be the primary reason for the formation of yellowish stains on the child’s teeth. Ignoring this problem for long can not just hamper the beauty of his/her smile but can also pave the path for suffering from other dental problems in the days to come.
Here at Spanaway Children’s Dentistry, we often come across people asking if it is alright to use teeth whitening products for children. Do you have similar queries in mind? If yes then going through this blog can be of great help.
Factors Causing Yellowish Teeth In Kids
Some of the probable reasons for the formation of yellow stains on your kid’s teeth are being mentioned on the pointers below:
- Not maintaining a proper oral hygiene routine can be the reason for yellowish teeth or teeth discoloration in the case of children. The shine or whiteness of the teeth can be ruined due to the buildup of plaque (a yellow film-like substance that consists of harmful bacteria). This problem can be easily avoided by regular brushing. Your child can start brushing from a very early age. Just make sure to pick a perfect toothbrush and toothpaste that suits your kid’s oral needs.
- Intake of liquid medication is a very common thing for kids. This can be the reason for teeth discoloration or yellowish stains on teeth.
- Your child can face the problem of yellowish teeth or teeth discoloration if he/she has a serious injury.
- Some babies are born with a particular kind of health condition i.e weaker enamel. This can increase the chances of suffering from teeth discoloration or yellow stains on teeth.
In case your kid faces such issues, there is nothing to worry about. Consult the best pediatric dentist nearby and get the problem of yellow stains or teeth discoloration resolved with ease.
Should I use Teeth Whitening Products for my Child?
The easy answer to this question is “No”. We have provided you the reasons behind teeth whitening products being considered improper for usage in the case of children.
- The teeth whitening products such as toothpaste or whitening strips available in the market are not suitable for kids. Give the information provided on the packages of these products a thorough read to know if they are perfect for your kid.
- As mentioned before, kids have a thinner enamel layer if compared with adults. So, using teeth whitening products can be the reason for tooth decay, cavities, or teeth sensitivity. Suffering from these issues at a young age may cause severe issues in the future.
- You need to know that the chances of teeth whitening products yielding effective results are pretty less when used in kids. Moreover, these products are not designed to keep your kid’s oral needs in mind.
We hope that you now know why using teeth whitening products for your kids is not okay. Consult the best Spanaway pediatric dentists at Spanaway Children’s Dentistry if you have any further questions related to this topic.